Wednesday, May 23, 2007

There Is No Such Thing As A Moral....

"Manners before morals." Wilde.


"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written."

The words of my long dead mentor, the darling Oscar Wilde. So I employ a variance of Oscar's wisdom and say there is no such thing as (Political) correctness or incorrectness. Stuff* is well written or badly written.

And isn't that the trouble with PC, everybody these days frightened to death about saying the wrong thing, creative writing has no greater enemy than Political (race/sex) correctness.

Quite obviously, this inhibiting factor, was recognised as such by the man I am going to introduce you to, Fred Reed, and having recognised it Reed must have decided to keep it bay with a very long stick.
In truth, before this morning a total stranger to me, but I was made aware of this fellow via a daily email I receive featuring the less reported, but no less important goings on in the world.

The email link I received was to an article entitled by Reed simply as "America" although the sender had reflected on the content and entitled the article, "Why the US Government is hated all over the world."

I shall link to it shortly, in fact I shall link to the front page of "Fred's blog" simply because there are other little gems well worth the reading, not least the very next article "Defending West Virginia" written with no little humour and a great deal of understanding as to the ways of the inhabitants of that particular piece of geography.

But it would be unfair to single out the WV story, for I took the pleasure reading all on the current page, all worthy pieces.

So let me offer up Reed's bio, the guy has crossed a few rivers in his time, and as such the more rivers you cross, the more you know about crossing rivers.

The bio was taken from "Fred on Everything" which I have yet to explore, but not to be confused "Fred's Blog" where reside the articles that I have mentioned.

*A deliberate choice of this all encompassing word.


Then as now, the cops, no bloody sense of humour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The particular article sited was okay, however I will have to say that overall I do not like Fred. For obvious reasons once you read some of his stuff. I will not rant here about someone else's blog. HH